In 1931, Frederick J. McCorry – “Mr. Mack” – followed in the footsteps of his father, an oil man from western Pennsylvania, and purchased a small company in rural Berwyn. The business consisted of four aboveground tanks, two 428-gallon trucks and a corrugated shell barely big enough to fit a desk and a coal stove.
It was the middle of the Great Depression, and almost every home and farm was heated by coal. But Mr. Mack envisioned a real estate boom in the coming years, along with conversions to clean-burning oil, and he was right.
As the decades passed, the McCorry family expanded their business and added new innovations, such as one of the first “pump” oil trucks in the area, degree day tracking to anticipate customers delivery needs, and, in the 1950s, modern two-way radios. By 1970, the company had grown to include 36 delivery trucks and service vans and 670,000 gallons of fuel storage. When Mr. Mack died that year, his three sons assumed leadership of the company. The third generation of the McCorry family came on board in the 1970s and 1980s.
Today, The Mack Services Group, now known as Mack Energy, serves thousands of customers throughout the Main Line and Chester County, from Bryn Mawr to Gap, and has grown to be one of the area’s leading energy companies. Guided by its mission of “a continued commitment to our founding principles and the diversified needs of our customers,” Mack Energy has expanded its full-service capabilities to include natural gas distribution, an online account management portal, a national fleet fueling card, and much more.
Mr. Mack would be proud to know that since the day he opened for business over 80 years ago, one thing has remained the same: Mack Energy’s commitment to quality products, impeccable service, and the very best in customer care. With this vision firmly in place, the company looks forward to celebrating its 100th anniversary in 2031!